MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING
February 23, 2017, 7:00 PM
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m., and upon roll call the following members were present: Supervisor Anne Flanigan Bassi, Trustees Dwayne Douglas and Amy Zisook.
Absent: Trustees Olga Gomez Aguilar and Cindy Wolfson
Also present: Assessor Cynthia Plouche, Clerk Gail Feiger Brown, and videographer Clyde Jennings.
There was no comment from the public.
Approval of Minutes
Trustee Zisook moved, seconded by Trustee Douglas, approval of the Regular Board Meeting Minutes of February 7, 2017. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Approval of Bills
Trustee Douglas moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook, approval of the Bills for the period February 7-21, 2017 in the following amounts: $7,587.07 General Assistance Fund, $38,010.30 Town Fund. Voting Aye by Roll Call Vote: Supervisor Bassi, Trustees Douglas, and Zisook; voting nay: none.
- Assessor's Report Cynthia Plouché
- In 2018, Lake County will adopt a new Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) system. Lake County Board of Review requested that Moraine Township Assessor staff accelerate its 2017 assessment and appeal process to allow more time at the end of the year to focus on the conversion to CAMA. As a result, Moraine Township's Assessor's office will close their books in June, 2017 rather than July, 2017, and residents will receive their 2017 blue sheets in early July. The staff has also begun the initial steps of the date management work involved in the conversion.
- Findings letters from the Lake County Board of Review were mailed to residents the week of February 13. Assessor Plouché distributed to Supervisor Bassi and the Trustees and discussed a chart of Township findings statistics for Lake County.
- Seniors turning 65 this year are reminded to visit the Assessor's office to apply for the senior exemption.
- Supervisor's Report Anne Flanigan Bassi
- Trustees were given a Township services monthly report for January, 2017, and a twelve-month report for February, 2016 through January, 2017. Van ridership has increased. Food pantry usage is stable.
- Supervisor Bassi attended a meeting of the Highland Park Hospital Community Advisory Committee, which she chairs, on February 17. A presentation on the hospital's sustainability program was followed by updates from cities, clergy, Lake County and others in attendance.
- Supervisor Bassi and Staff Paula Peddle met on February 22 at the Township office with Laura Carroll, the new housing planner for the City of Highland Park, to familiarize her with Township services and the joint Temporary Emergency Housing Program provided by the Township and the City of Highland Park.
- Supervisor Bassi attended the clergy meeting convened by Highland Park Mayor Nancy Rotering on February 22. Representatives from the Highland Park-Highwood Legal Aid Clinic discussed residents' concerns about changing immigration policies.
- Thanks to a client of the VITA program for her donation to the Food Pantry in honor of the volunteer who assisted her with filing her tax return.
- Latino Advisory Committee Report No report.
- Food Insecurity Issues Report Gail Feiger Brown
- Trustee Zisook discussed food insecurity with District 112 Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources Monica Schroeder of Sherwood School. A meeting with local Principals will be arranged to acquaint them with Township services.
- The invitations for the Spring Break breakfast/lunch bag program have been sent out.
- Food Pantry Report Anne Flanigan Bassi
- The Hunger Resource Network will be delivering 10 cases, or 400 pounds, of frozen chicken to the Township on Saturday March 18 when the office is closed. Thanks to Victor Bassi who will receive and put away the chicken.
- Thanks to the kindergarteners of Red Oak School morning and afternoon classes who toured the Pantry on February 21 and sorted the donations they brought with them. Thanks to Trustee Zisook and Clerk Brown for leading the tours.
- Thanks to Elm Place Students Levi Goldberg and Andrew Kourkine, their teacher Marci Kulback, and Levi's parents, who came to the Township on February 21 to film the documentary on the Food Pantry. They filmed Township volunteers doing all portions of the back end of the Township's Food Pantry work.
- Senior Services Task Force Report No report.
- Lake County Coordinated Transportation Services Committee (LCCTSC) No report.
- Community Family Center (CFC) Report No report.
- Human Relations Commission (HRC) Report No report.
- Cemetery Report No report.
- Lake County — A Welcoming and Inclusive Community Summit of Leaders Amy Zisook Trustee Zisook attended the Partnership for a Safer Lake County Welcoming and Inclusive Community Summit of Leaders held on February 21, co-hosted by Lake County Board Chairman Aaron Lawlor and Lake County State's Attorney Mike Nerheim. The Township Board is in support of adopting the Welcoming and Inclusive Community Pledge.
- Budget Anne Flanigan Bassi Supervisor Bassi distributed a draft Budget to the Board and a discussion was held. The Supervisor gave an overview of changes and highlights.
With no further business to conduct, Trustee Douglas moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook that the meeting be adjourned at 7:39 p.m. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Gail Feiger Brown, Moraine Township Clerk