MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING
February 7, 2017, 7:00 PM
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m., and upon roll call the following members were present: Supervisor Anne Flanigan Bassi, Trustees Olga Gomez Aguilar, Dwayne Douglas, and Amy Zisook.
Absent: Trustee Cindy Wolfson
Also present: Clerk Gail Feiger Brown, Carrie Callas (Family Service of Lake County), Michele Cohen (The Art Center TAC), Becky Zeidman, and Marty Zeidman.
There was no comment from the public.
- Carrie Callas, Family Service of Lake County The Township was thanked for its grant which supports counseling, the Nuestro Center, and the Latino Educational Continuum. 70% of Family Service clients are Moraine Township residents. Family Service will be relocating Nuestro Center to a centralized location in downtown Highwood. The Sunday sports program at Highland Park High School has been discontinued.
- Michele Cohen, The Art Center (TAC) The Township was thanked for its grant which provided scholarships for income qualified students participating in summer programs to enable parents to work. Michele Cohen is the new Executive Director of TAC. Ms. Cohen requested an extension of the deadline to file an application for a FY 2017-2018, which was denied by the Trustees.
Approval of Minutes
Trustee Aguilar moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook, approval of the Regular Board Meeting Minutes of January 26, 2017. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Approval of Bills
Trustee Douglas moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook, approval of the Bills for the period January 25-February 6, 2017 in the following amounts: $7,841.15 General Assistance Fund, $29,999.44 Town Fund. Voting Aye by Roll Call Vote: Supervisor Bassi, Trustees Aguilar, Douglas, and Zisook; voting nay: none.
- Assessor's Report No report.
- Supervisor's Report Anne Flanigan Bassi
- Supervisor Bassi and Staff Paula Peddle attended the February 1 Senior Services Task Force meeting and presentation on dementia.
- Staff Peddle is continuing to make wellness checks on homebound seniors as she delivers Home Instead gift bags.
- Supervisor Bassi, Clerk Brown and Staff Peddle met with Highland Park High School (HPHS) Counseling Department Chair Alesia Margetis on February 1 to discuss HPHS homeless students and ways in which the Township can assist.
- The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program began February 4. Tax returns are prepared by twelve to fourteen certified volunteers, who are assisted by several translators who have undergone ethics training. Information on the program is displayed at public facilities in Highland Park and Highwood.
- Supervisor Bassi is working with committee chairs to fill vacancies on committees.
- The Elm Place Middle School documentary on the Food Pantry will be filmed on February 21 at the Township and at food pick-up sites. Clients will not be filmed.
- Supervisor Bassi distributed to Trustees a quarterly report of the Township's cash balance comparisons for December 31, 2015 and December 31, 2016.
- Latino Advisory Committee Report Olga Gomez Aguilar The Committee will hold its first meeting of the year in February.
- Food Insecurity Issues Report Gail Feiger Brown Clerk Brown and Trustee Zisook are working on the Spring Break Breakfast/Lunch Bag program.
- Food Pantry Report Amy Zisook The Northshore School District 112 PTO Presidents' group is organizing food drives to be held in March, prior to Spring Break.
- Senior Services Task Force Report See Supervisor's report.
- Lake County Coordinated Transportation Services Committee (LCCTSC) No report.
- Community Family Center (CFC) Report Gail Feiger Brown Clerk Brown attended the CFC 2016 Annual Meeting held February 3. The search for a site continues.
- Human Relations Commission (HRC) Report No report.
- Cemetery Report Anne Flanigan Bassi Thanks to Donna Novickas for finishing the Mooney and Daggitt Cemeteries database entry into our cemetery program, completing the historical input.
- Grant Discussion Anne Flanigan Bassi Trustees discussed a draft budget amount for agency grants for the 2017-2018 fiscal year and recommended a $25,000.00 reduction over the previous year budget.
With no further business to conduct, Trustee Douglas moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook that the meeting be adjourned at 7:44 p.m. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Gail Feiger Brown, Moraine Township Clerk