MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING
January 12, 2017, 7:00 PM
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m., and upon roll call the following members were present: Supervisor Anne Flanigan Bassi, Trustees Olga Gomez Aguilar, Cindy Wolfson, and Amy Zisook.
Absent: Trustee Dwayne Douglas
Also present: Clerk Gail Feiger Brown, Edie Sue Sutker (JCFS), David Greenberg, Laura Lambrecht, Becky Zeidman and Marty Zeidman.
There was no comment from the public.
- Edie Sue Sutker, JCFS The Township was thanked for its grant which supports a clinical social worker two days a week at the Highland Park High School Drop-In Center. Moraine Township residents also receive psychology and social services at the JCFS office in Northbrook, which are available to all cultures and religions; 53% of the Township residents served there are economically challenged.
- Susan Bell, College Bound Opportunities (CBO) Rescheduled for January 26, 2017
- Carrie Callas, Family Service of Lake County Rescheduled for February 7, 2017
Approval of Minutes
Trustee Zisook moved, seconded by Trustee Aguilar, Approval of the Regular Board Meeting Minutes of December 8, 2016. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Approval of Bills
Trustee Zisook moved, seconded by Trustee Wolfson, Approval of the Bills for the period December 7-28, 2016 in the following amounts: $7,936.25 General Assistance, $44,086.73 Town Fund, and for the period January 1-11, 2017 in the following amounts: $3,686.79 General Assistance, $34,505.43 Town Fund. Voting Aye by Roll Call Vote: Supervisor Bassi, Trustees Aguilar, Wolfson and Zisook; voting nay: none.
- Approve Engagement of Attorney Scott Nemanich Trustee Wolfson moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook, Approval of Engagement of Attorney Scott Nemanich. Voting Aye by Roll Call Vote: Supervisor Bassi, Trustees Aguilar, Wolfson and Zisook; voting nay: none.
- Appointment of Debi Gordon as Deputy Clerk Trustee Aguilar moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook, Appointment of Debi Gordon as Deputy Clerk. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
- Assessor's Report Anne Flanigan Bassi on behalf of Cynthia Plouché
- The Assessor's office continues with Board of Review hearings for 2016 appeals. Seven days of residential hearings are scheduled for January.
- Residential owners that turn 65 in 2017 should contact the office to discuss the senior exemption.
- Residential owners who purchased their homes in late 2016 or early in 2017 should contact the office if the Township's value is HIGHER than their purchase price. Information letters will be sent to owners who purchased their residences after October 1, 2016.
- Supervisor's Report Anne Flanigan Bassi
- The monthly service report for December, 2016, and 12-month report December, 2016 to January, 2016 was distributed to the Board.
- The IRS VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program will be available February 4 through April 8. Walk-ins will be seen on Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.; other times are by appointment only. Supervisor Bassi and Donna Novickas will be the on-site coordinators. Residents should contact the office to schedule appointments.
- Supervisor Bassi attended an inter-governmental meeting at City Hall January 12 and reported on township programs.
- Latino Advisory Committee Report Olga Gomez Aguilar The committee is working on getting new members and arranging an Open House.
- Food Insecurity Issues Report Amy Zisook
- The Winter Break Bag Program has concluded. 50 families picked up breakfast/lunch bags and supplemental food.
- The Township is holding a food drive at the January 16 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service event at the Highland Park Rec Center. Trustee Zisook and Clerk Brown will represent the Township. Volunteers will assist with drop-off donations and driving donations to the office. 20 members of Congregation BJBE will assist at the Pantry.
- Food Pantry Report
- Thanks to Trustee Wolfson for chairing the Sunset Foods-Highland Park fundraiser held December 2-4, 2016. Trustee Wolfson reported that shoppers donated $12,020.00 at the checkout register. Those funds will be held on credit at Sunset Foods and used to purchase fresh produce for the Pantry throughout the year. $1,800.97 in cash donations went directly to the Community Chest to fund the Pantry. Thanks to Sunset Foods, 56 volunteers, and generous shoppers.
- Thanks to the Modestus Bauer Foundation for a $2,500.00 donation.
- Thanks to Sunset Woods residents Cookie and Rochelle for using their lottery ticket winnings to buy food for the Pantry.
- Thanks to Highland Park Ford Lincoln for donating 50 turkeys on December 12 in addition to the 50 turkeys donated for Thanksgiving.
- Thanks to Pastor David Perkins and Highland Park Presbyterian Church for their donation of $1,000.00.
- Thanks to a generous Moraine Township Trustee for donating her entire salary to the Pantry.
- Thanks to a generous Moraine Township employee for donating $500.00 to the Pantry.
- Thanks to Ravinia Business District for holding a food drive and donating 85 bags of food to the Pantry.
- Thanks to Ripple Communications for their work on Ravinia Drive.
- Thanks to a generous resident for donating $1,000.00 to the Pantry.
- Thanks to the Highland Park-Highwood Lions Club for donating 100 items to the Pantry in honor of their 100 years anniversary.
- Senior Services Task Force Report No report.
- Lake County Coordinated Transportation Services Committee (LCCTSC) Amy Zisook LCCTSC and Lake County Department of Transportation (LCDOT) are conducting a paratransit market study. Initially, four public forums will be held the week of January 16 at various Lake County locations. The study will continue through the summer.
- Community Family Center (CFC) Report No report.
- Human Relations Commission (HRC) Report Clerk Brown attended the January 5 HRC meeting. The HRC is coordinating the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service event. The HRC is also working on the Character Counts program to be held March 23 at Highland Park High School.
- Cemetery Report No report.
With no further business to conduct, Trustee Aguilar moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook that the meeting be adjourned at 7:41 p.m. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Gail Feiger Brown, Moraine Township Clerk