MINUTES OF REGULAR MEETING
March 9, 2017, 7:00 PM
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m., and upon roll call the following members were present: Supervisor Anne Flanigan Bassi, Trustees Dwayne Douglas, Cindy Wolfson and Amy Zisook.
Absent: Olga Gomez Aguilar
Also present: Clerk Gail Feiger Brown.
There was no comment from the public.
Approval of Minutes
Trustee Zisook moved, seconded by Trustee Douglas, approval of the Regular Board Meeting Minutes of February 23, 2017. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Approval of Bills
Trustee Douglas moved, seconded by Trustee Wolfson, approval of the Bills for the period February 22-March 7, 2017 in the following amounts: $4,869.36 General Assistance Fund, $31,341.12 Town Fund. Voting Aye by Roll Call Vote: Supervisor Bassi, Trustees Douglas, Wolfson and Zisook; voting Nay: none.
- Motion to post proposed Budget for FY17-18 Trustee Zisook moved, seconded by Trustee Douglas, to post the proposed Budget for FY17-18. A discussion was held on the proposed Budget. Voting Aye by Roll Call Vote: Supervisor Bassi, Trustees Douglas, Wolfson and Zisook; voting Nay: none.
- Adoption of Agenda for Annual Town Meeting on April 25, 2017 Trustee Wolfson moved, seconded by Trustee Douglas, Adoption of Agenda for Annual Town Meeting on April 25, 2017. Voting Aye by Roll Call Vote: Supervisor Bassi, Trustees Douglas, Wolfson and Zisook; voting Nay: none.
- Resolution No. 030917 to Support the Partnership for a Safer Lake County Welcoming and Inclusive Community Pledge Trustee Zisook moved, seconded by Trustee Douglas, Adoption of Resolution No. 030917 to Support the Partnership for a Safer Lake County Welcoming and Inclusive Community Pledge. The Township Board and Clerk Brown then recited aloud and signed the pledge. Voting Aye by Roll Call Vote: Supervisor Bassi, Trustees Douglas, Wolfson and Zisook; voting Nay: none.
Trustee Douglas left the meeting at 7:24 p.m.
Terri Olian entered the meeting at 7:35 p.m. and left at 7:46 p.m.
- Assessor's Report Anne Flanigan Bassi The Senior Citizens Assessment Freeze pre-printed forms will be mailed on March 9. Forms are also available on the Lake County website or at the Moraine Township Assessor's office. The Senior Freeze exemption freezes the taxable value of single family owner occupied residences. One of the Owners needs to be 65 or older and the family has to have a total income of $55,000 or less.
- Supervisor's Report Anne Flanigan Bassi
- Trustees were given a Township services monthly report for February, 2017, and a twelve-month report for March, 2016 through February, 2017. LINK card applications and VITA insurance appointments have increased.
- Welcome to new Citizen Grant Advisory Committee members Ginny Schulte and Wendy Abrams.
- Welcome to new Latino Advisory Committee members Dolores Alonso, Daisy Gonzalez, Lucina Ibarra, Rosa Machabanski.
- The Township will participate in the City of Highland Park Fourth of July parade. Trustee Zisook will organize the Township's entry.
- An e-blast will be emailed to residents about the Senior Freeze, VITA tax assistance and voting for the April 4 Consolidated Election.
- The documentary about the Food Pantry filmed by Elm Place students will be shown May 4 at Renaissance Landmark Theater. The filmmakers will show a sneak preview at the Annual Town Meeting.
- All Moraine Township volunteers are invited to the Annual Town Meeting which will be held at the Highland Park Police Station. Thanks to Debi Gordon for managing responses.
- Latino Advisory Committee Report Anne Flanigan Bassi Thanks to Chair Pablo Alvarez and Liaison Trustee Douglas. An Open House will be held May 8 at the Township office.
- Food Insecurity Issues Report Amy Zisook The Spring Break breakfast/lunch bag program is expected to distribute over 50 bags March 28 and 30 to families whose children qualify for free or reduced lunch but are not fed at school during holidays.
- Food Pantry Report Anne Flanigan Bassi Thanks to Vic Bassi for receiving the donation of 400 pounds of chicken on Saturday March 18 from the Hunger Action Network.
- Senior Services Task Force Report No report.
- Lake County Coordinated Transportation Services Committee (LCCTSC) Amy Zisook Trustee Zisook participated in the LCCTSC paratransit market study and discussion in Mundelein on March 7.
- Community Family Center (CFC) Report No report.
- Human Relations Commission (HRC) Report No report.
- Cemetery Report Cindy Wolfson Thanks to Donna Novickas for completing the cemetery mapping and database, and to Debi Gordon for taking over cemetery responsibility. The Township will utilize CIMS software for cloud storage and management of cemetery graves and names. The software will enable internet searches of the Township cemetery residents. The Township will incur a one-time fee of $300 for each cemetery, Daggitt and Mooney, and a $135 annual maintenance fee.
- Supervisor Bassi discussed with Trustees Illinois Senate Bill 1311, a Bill to prohibit housing discrimination based on source of income (e.g. Section 8 vouchers). The Supervisor represents the Township on the Lake County Housing Action Coalition. The Coalition supports SB1311. Supervisor Bassi asked if the Trustees agreed with the Township signing in as an endorser of the Bill and the Trustees concurred.
With no further business to conduct, Trustee Wolfson moved, seconded by Trustee Zisook that the meeting be adjourned at 8:18 p.m. The motion passed unanimously by voice vote.
Gail Feiger Brown, Moraine Township Clerk